Saturday, January 17, 2015

Furniture Shopping!

We took a 45-minute trip this weekend to the Restoration Hardware outlet store, where everything was 40% off of the final sale price, which made it all the equivalent of 75%-90% off the original price -- all discounts taken into account, this was Restoration Hardware for the price of IKEA.  What more could I ask for? Well, maybe a bigger car...



The first thing I spotted were some bentwood chairs.  I had been looking for a pair of these for some unobtrusive kitchen seating.  I don't plan to eat in the kitchen, and I was just planning to have the stand-alone prep table, but I realized after actually living in the house that we do like to keep each other company in the kitchen, but sometimes we need to get out of the way.  My kind of cooking is fast - I'm always chopping something while something else is on high heat, lots of Asian cooking and one-pot vegetarian meals that go really quick.  Ben's kind of cooking is more restaurant-style, he tends to take up a lot of space with 3 pans and an oven all going simultaneously.  We need to stay out of each other's way, and having a couple chairs beats sitting at the dining room table expectantly.

These have pretty caned seats, authentic lines to them (no ice cream shop hearts here), and for $30 (80% off original price) they were cheaper than even used ones on Craigslist!  And I don't have to paint them!  Grabbed two, put them on hold by the cashier, kept shopping.

We also found this daybed for the upstairs foyer.  It was on final-final sale with a bunch of red and yellow tags on it.  Nothing else had red and yellow tags on it - so it was kind of scary.  Even though everything in that store is final sale, so I don't know why this one was so oddly labelled.  I sort of backed away from it, but Ben was passionate about this piece of furniture and from this point on, he stopped shopping with me and just stood and stared at it for about an hour and half.
So while he was taking it apart and putting it back together, I used the time constructively, to get price quotes on other daybeds, which is what I knew we wanted for the upstairs foyer.  Was it cheaper than antique ones on Craigslist? Check.  Those were around $1000 !!  Was it cheaper than IKEA?  Significantly.  Was it pretty? Yes. Did it match the ideas I had for that room.  Yes. Does it fit in the car?  Maaaaaaybe.

Since we have ultimate faith in our car's fold-down seats, we put that on reserve too.  

And finally, I saw this cast iron pedestal table:


This didn't catch my eye right away.  It was in the middle of a bunch of end tables, and I couldn't see the base until I looked closer.  I had been looking for a round table for the center of the downstairs foyer.  I wanted it to be round and not huge so that I don't run into it.  But I also wanted it to be distinctive, as it is the first thing you will see when you enter the house.  So, not an IKEA table.  And I couldn't find anything I liked on Craigslist for any price.  At 80% off, this table was under $200.  I'm of the opinion that if a new piece of furniture is sturdy, attractive, and under $200, it's a good deal.  I bought this table too, and the more I think about it, the more I like it.  It's cast iron!

Then we precariously loaded all this stuff into our car, and drove home with my knees against the dashboard.  Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment